Tuesday, October 9, 2012

The Grimms' Snow White

-->
I bought a copy of the Grosset & Dunlap Grimms' Fairy Tales last week. It's definitely my favorite book in all the world. I've owned copies of it before but have given them away to various people who I thought would love it as much as I do.

So last night, as the winter is coming on and the days are getting shorter and the nights colder, I opened up this treasury and read Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs before going to bed. It was all new to me once again despite my having read it so many times over the course of my life.

Thomas Kinkade, Snow White Discovers the Cottage

This time I was more aware than ever that she represents the pure heart, the pure-in-heart, perhaps from having written about it recently, as well as more experience since I last read this story.

The seven small protectors, who work in a gold mine, try to protect her from her stepmother, the widower King's second, vain, wife. This woman's mirror has been telling her that she is the most beautiful woman in the world until one day it tells her that, no, Snow White is actually more beautiful, “a thousand times more fair.” Oh, geez. Now's there's hell to pay. The old baggage tells the huntsman to take Snow White into the woods and kill her. That doesn't work out. So she tries three deceptive ploys in the disguise of an old woman offering good things – tightened laces, a poison comb, and the poisoned half of an apple. Lots of other exciting stuff happens and at the end the wicked stepmother goes to the wedding feast and “was beside herself with disappointment and anger” that Snow White was a thousand times more fair, and then gets served her just deserts: “For they had ready red-hot iron shoes, in which she had to dance until she fell down dead.”

The Grimms don't fool around. They tell it.

No comments:

Post a Comment