Saturday, March 24, 2012

Studs Terkel

I heard some piercingly beautiful music this morning and it brought me to that place where I was ready and willing to die right then. There is some way that is what I feel whenever I think of my friends past and present.

                                                              *     *     *

Studs Terkel’s last interview came up in my last post on "the experts." Studs' best known book is probably his collection of interviews with people who lived through the Great Depression, Hard Times: An Oral History of the Great Depression, thus his qualification for being asked in that interview for the lessons of the Great Depression:

"The lessons of the Great Depression? Don’t blame yourself. Turn to others. The big boys are not that bright."

"Those are my wife's ashes on the window sill next to the daisies, which have got to be fresh daisies, which were her favorite flowers. And I want my ashes mixed with hers and spread over Bughouse Square. You got to know what Bughouse Square is."

                                                              *     *     *




No comments:

Post a Comment