Monday, March 19, 2012

Not Unplugged


Bucky Fuller was an important other for me along the way. I went to some of his talks in Boston while I was living there and I just loved his presentations - the spontaneity, the child-like enthusiasm for his subjects, the openness and uninhibited passion - as much as the words. He had all these astonishing inventions and ideas, but he explicitly rejected the suggestion that he was “a genius. ” He said that, in fact, he was “very ordinary.” He said that we are born with all kinds of faculties, abilities, but we get “unplugged” from those capacities as we grow older. “I didn't allow myself to get unplugged,” he said.

There are four children in the adjacent houses in my neighborhood who are five years old and who are just alive with possibility. Bright as can be. I was talking with one of them about Cinderella and I could see that all the neurons were firing, none unplugged. She did, I must say, seem to think that the Disney version was the story. Cinderella in my understanding exists in some form in most cultures and my version changes each time I tell it, although I am definitely partial to the Grimm brothers' telling of it. The Grimms begin the story (Manheim's translation):

A rich man's wife fell sick and, feeling her end was near, she called her only daughter to her bedside and said: “Dear child, be good and say your prayers; God will help you, and I shall look down on you from heaven and always be with you.” With that she closed her eyes and died. Every day the little girl went out to her mother's grave and wept, and she went on being good and saying her prayers. When winter came, the snow spread a white cloth over the grave, and when spring took it off, the man remarried.

Now, even that bit right there has so much in it for conversation with a five-year-old or a not-unplugged adult that I just can't stand it. Too much.

* * *

Here is a nice passage from Reading With Children, by Anne Thaxter Eaton, first published in 1940, on the subject of bringing books and children together:

It is not a simple task. It means knowing children and knowing books so thoroughly that we may help the dreamer see the wonder and romance of the world around him, and the matter-of-fact child to enter the realm of imaginative literature...We must have retained or we must recapture for ourselves something of the child's own attitude toward life and the world.

Something close to that was very much at the center of what I was trying to do in my ten years of teaching and then my ten years of book-selling. I think it's not usually understood that it is not a simple task because the reader should believe, if you've done it correctly, that it was all just an unfolding of what was already within her. It looks as if it was all done by the student, which is true in a sense, yet setting that up by a teacher or book-seller or book-giver or book-recommender is often a task requiring immense reading and experience and empathetic ability. And in the academy, particularly, you have to fight against the widespread but mistaken view that education is the filling of a container rather than the kindling of a fire, as Plutarch put it.

* * *

If you've had a look at Frances Yates' bibliography, to which I linked in my last post, you could get some sense of hers being a not-unplugged mind. Here is my favorite photo of her.




                                                              * * *

2 comments:

  1. Dear Val,

    I am enjoying your blog a lot; it reflects your introspections. You know, solitude is not a curse but a blessing. The thoughts that you are putting into words would not be possible if you had a talking companion next to you, say a parrot...anyway, I would like to know the source of that remarkable photo of Frances Yates with a hat.

    I do not completely agree with your definition of science. Where do you leave serendipity?
    Anyway, it is late in Beavercreek to blog about this subject. What I really want to let you know is that the thought you rescued from Jung's Memories, Dreams and Reflections, is as you said, a real gem, distilled wisdom.

    There is no guarantee – not for a single moment – that we will not fall into error or stumble into deadly peril. We may think there is a sure road. But that would be the road of death. Then nothing happens any longer – at any rate, not the right things. Anyone who takes the sure road is as good as dead.

    One should never forget this, an yet, we all forget it because otherwise life would become an impossible trip; we would be killed by anxiety. This is why you cannot think in psychoanalytic terms while you live. I think Jung also said that somewhere.

    Cheers

    Javier

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Javier, I appreciate your comments very much! Thank you. I recognize that the discussion of what is "science" and what is not "science" is an old and challenging discussion, but I hope nonetheless to have something worthwhile to say soon. And here is the source of that great Yates photo:

      http://www.deannewilliams.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/No-Man%E2%80%99s-Elizabeth-Frances-Yates-and-the-History-of-History.pdf

      - Val

      Delete