Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Celine Dion's Ave Maria




Celine Dion's rendition of Schubert's Ave Maria strikes me more than any other version I've heard.




Two thoughts come to mind of why this touches me so deeply. One is the French-Canadian thing. My own grandfather was French-Canadian; the city where I was born and first worked was highly French-Canadian; I went to university for four years in Montreal; I've visited French-Canada many times over the years; and it has just been in my mind seemingly forever. I recognize it in Celine immediately. She sings this Ave Maria in English, but I recognize that immediately also, as part of the French-Canadian experience.



The other reason it strikes me so strongly, I think, is the way she sings the phrase “Oh Mother hear a suppliant child.” I share that vision, for those I love in their hour, especially for that one woman whose humanity it was given to me to know most deeply.

No comments:

Post a Comment