Friday, June 6, 2014

Recovery of the Castle


A 15-year-old boy, whom I know very well, was a student at Concord-Carlisle High School in Concord, Massachusetts, at the time. It was the day before the annual Thanksgiving Day football game between Concord-Carlisle and Lexington High School and there was a “rally” occurring in the school auditorium. Concord and Lexington are old, historic, educated, expensive suburbs of Boston that are considered to have superior schools.

This ceremony consisted of the members of the football team being introduced, one by one, as each ran up on onto the stage, to great applause, punching on their way a hanged effigy of a Lexington High School football player having ketchup on its jersey to simulate blood.

My hero, the 15-year-old boy, was disgusted so he left the auditorium and went downstairs to the metal-working shop. The Vice-Principal soon appeared and asked my hero what he was doing. My hero replied to him that he thought the rally was really stupid and so he had come down to the shop to work. The Vice-Principal then said, “Do you mean to tell me that everyone else in the school is stupid and you are the only smart one?” He then sent my hero home from school.

Now, I have related this true story since it happened many years ago to a number of people whom I judged to have the courage and honesty to face it, to understand it. Old Frances Yates just laughed and giggled when I told her. My most recent hearer was a nurse who replied “I would have told the Vice-Principal, 'Yes, they are all stupid and you are the worst of them.'”

This football rally incident in these two classy USA towns strikes
me as almost worthy of fairy tale status, because it does all work out correctly in the end. The true-at-heart eventually strikes the fiery dragon in just the right place, deflates the bloated pest, recovers the dragon's ill-gotten gold and historic hoard, marries the princess, and they become King and Queen, the laughing green leaves come back out on the trees, the castle reanimates, and they live happily ever after.


No comments:

Post a Comment