Friday, June 28, 2013

Turgenev's Maturity


It bothers me that I was seventy-one years old before
Turgenev
I came to read Ivan Turgenev. I wish I had known him at eighteen. How helpful it would have been to my life, just to have sensed his generosity, kindness and maturity.

Henry James reports Ernest Renan saying at the time of Turgenev's death:

His conscience was not that of an individual to whom nature had been more or less generous: it was in some sort the conscience of a people. Before he was born he had lived for thousands of years; infinite successions of reveries had amassed themselves in the depths of his heart. No man has been as much as he the incarnation of a whole race: generations of ancestors, lost in the sleep of centuries, speechless, came through him to life and utterance.

James goes on to say, “I quote these lines for the pleasure of quoting them...”

That concept at the end, about giving life and utterance to generations of ancestors, could not have held in any case as much meaning for me when I was young as it does now. One of the things that becomes more certain and clear to me as I reach the end of my life is how far back our minds go, how deep is our ancestry.

No comments:

Post a Comment