Tuesday, January 29, 2013

A Friend


I went into a Walmart Vision Center last night to have the optometrist measure my eyes for new glasses. I normally don't like to patronize Walmart because of their treatment of workers but the price for an eye test there is less than half of what it is anywhere else.

Anyway, I was very heartened, pleased, restored to find that the optometrist, an old guy like myself, was not only competent but understanding. He spoke this in less than three seconds but it restored my soul.

I get in the chair, he looks at my paperwork, and says simply, abruptly, “You don't look like a truck driver. You don't speak like a truck driver.” I get that from time to time and it's true. I look more like an academic.

So I say to this guy, “I picked up the trade as an avocation so that I could speak truth in my other world.” He got it immediately. “Been there.”

This is a true story and it happened last night at the Walmart Vision Center in Moraine, Ohio.

No comments:

Post a Comment