Thursday, August 16, 2012

Communing With The Stars


It's 4:00 AM and I have just come in from communing with the stars. There are usually too many lights, too much cloud cover, or some other obstructions here in downtown Dayton for me to see the stars. But this morning they were clearly visible from hundreds of years ago when their lights started their journeys over here to Dayton.

I remember that I have looked out at them many times during the course of my life and feel connections to those past moments and to the other people whom I know to have viewed them in the past, especially my father. As Thoreau said, “The stars are the apices of what triangles!”

I am a little like the navigator of a submarine who every now and then has to come up and see the stars to get a true bearing on where he is and to make sure that his instruments are truly in tune.

Buckminster Fuller often noted that the light from the stars takes a long time to reach Earth, often hundreds of years, depending on how far away each star is, and therefore what we see and live at any instant on Earth is a “universe of non-simultaneous overlapping events.” All this is way beyond me and I have the sense that time and space are not what I usually take them to be.

What I do clearly sense is an eternal communion with loved ones regardless of place or time.


No comments:

Post a Comment