Thursday, April 26, 2012

Lenny Bruce, Jobs and Youth



LennyBruce dedicated his autobiography to the Teamsters because they would hire even ex-convicts. I happened to read that dedication a long time ago, at the height of the Viet-Nam war, and had no idea how important it would be to the rest of my life.

I wasn't able to get a job at the time because potential employers considered me an undesirable, a traitor to my country, for refusing to go to war and refusing to support the war.

It's difficult to recapture the fervor that people feel in support of a war in its beginnings. There is a great emotional enthusiasm in society for it and if you don't share that enthusiasm, society's response is a wild, vengeful, murderous assertion that you're either with them or against them. “Whose side are you on?!” is thrown at you in a such a desperate, wild, urgent, blind, vehement way that you never forget it. It's as if, no, is, that they consider you to be a deadly enemy, as bad or even worse than the enemy “out there” that they wish to kill. The vast majority, almost everyone around you, including your friends and neighbors, have that response. It takes you a lot of depth-work to overcome and alchemize such astonishing hatred, including the fact that they have no sense of accountability for the war or their treatment of you years later when their insanity is broken.

Mark Twain's War Prayer is a memorable piece on the subject. Everyone can look back in awe now at the high-spirited happiness and enthusiasm at the outbreak of World War I. Even the now-much-despised Iraq war was greeted with enthusiasm and an explosion of “whose side are you on?!” anger.

Anyway, back to Lenny Bruce and my not being able to get a job during the Viet-Nam war. I came to understand very clearly that depriving people of a way to make a living is a way of murdering them. And I then happened to read Lenny Bruce's dedication to the Teamsters, because they would hire ex-cons, and concluded that perhaps they would hire even me. So I went down to the Teamsters' office in Los Angeles, where I was living at the time, and was shown into the office of an old union man, an organizer from way back. I told him simply that “I need a job.” He talked with me for a few minutes, eye-balled me a bit, and said, “You come back here tomorrow morning at this time. I'm going to get you a job.” I came back the next day and he had a job for me - not a great job, but something that enabled me to survive.

I subsequently learned to drive big trucks, a fall-back trade that became useful to me for the rest of my life whenever my truth-speaking or truth-living got me in trouble with respectable employers. My father once told me that there was once an old Jewish tradition that one should have a trade to fall back upon, such as St. Paul had. Truck driving has served that purpose for me.

*       *      *
This thing of society's hatred depriving you of a way to make a living is my chief concern about the student debt problem.

A young person beginning his working life with an inconceivably large debt on his shoulders is bad because it doesn't allow him to explore the variety of options out there in an amazingly varied and complicated world. It allows no time for exploring jobs, failures, disillusionment, learning his strengths and weaknesses and the hidden opportunities and duplicities of the world, changing a career to something more suited to the realities of his inner and outer world.

These consequences of big student debt are bad enough, but what seems to me to be a worse consequence is that it deprives all of us, including the newly-graduated student, of the benefit of the truth-living and truth-speaking that youth can do. Young people have traditionally been in a better position to point out that the emperor has no clothes than older people whose ability to make payments is dependent on the emperor's favor. But now, if you are a young person starting out with a debt of hundreds of thousands of dollars, you just can't allow that black mark on your computerized record that you will get by speaking out against war and any other injustice or insanity of your society. You have to make those payments. As Herman Cain put it in another context, "You want a job, right?"

*     *     *

No comments:

Post a Comment